Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Albuquerque WHUIA Regional Camp - intro...

After a couple of flights from Indy via Dallas, I'm here in a slightly smoky Albuquerque to put the players of Rio Vista FC through their paces. I'm running the 4 day West Ham United International Academy Regional Camp here. It's pretty late, but we've had a little fun along the way. An Indianapolis Airport shoe shiner got his first ever pair of 'football boots' to clean...always wanted to get a shoe shine but never felt it was appropriate. He thought I wanted my rainbow's cleaned.... Anyway, it turns out I found out what ex-Arsenal players do for a living during the summer - clean shoes, that's what. Who? I hear you ask that question - well, read on and the evidence is below!



So, with a shiny new pair of boots that cost me $20 to get cleaned (I know, but I wanted to screw the business guy waiting by giving a ridiculous tip) I set off West, well south-west-ish etc. Couldn't believe who sat next to me on the flight to Dallas - son of JR Ewing with a massive ten gallon hat. He was drinking cheap beer - I left him alone. Dallas to Albuquerque put me next to a really old lady with a wrinkly face like those fighting dogs with a need of plastic surgery. She was nice though. The lady the other side had a daughter who plays at around 6,500 feet above sea level. Blimey - I bet she is faster than Theo Walcott at sea level. Canvey bound for that lass.

OK - what is the point of all this? Well, it struck me as a decent idea to pull another 'daily blog stunt' and talk about the following:

a) How the camp goes and follow the fortunes of these young superstars
b) Pitch a little coaching ideas in there
c) A commentary on the differences between here, Indy and London (with respect to soccer)
d) Anything embarrassing I do while in town.

So far so good - knackered but excited to meet  Matt Gordon and Chris Brennan - who is a Liverpool fan - strange as I keep meeting them (and that's the only decent win in the league the Hammers had this season past).

OK - so who is the ex-Arsenal player?

Bloody Patrick Veira.
Never saw that one coming....

No comments:

Post a Comment