Monday, February 21, 2011

Trip of a lifetime - and an inside view of 'The Academy of Football'

Bags packed – including custom Adidas predator with name, fav number and England flag.

About to take the trip of a lifetime – one week with the Youth Academy Coaching staff at West Ham United.

Now – one of two things will happen….

a)      I’ll spend a fabulous week thanks to Mike Kelleher, West Ham International Academy Director observing some of England’s best coaches – capped by watching the Hammers crush Liverpool on the 27th.

OR

b)      While out on the Chadwell Health training ground, just observing a U12 coaching session with Paul Heffer, Robert Green will clear a ball on the senior field and the wind will push it over to me – and with my $300 boots on, I’ll clock it out of the corner of my eye, bring it down with the outside of my left foot, turn, look up and knock it 45 yards into the path of Scot Parker, who’ll volley it into the top corner. Now, at this point their game stops and Avram Grant wanders over. Quick chat and next I’ve got 15 minutes at left midfield to get a contract. Only 41 years young but still got it…hopefully.

OR

c)      Fabio Capello is over for a cup of tea with Tony Carr, sees the whole thing and calls up the FA about getting this ‘never-heard-of-before’ guy into the England squad. I’ll end up captain and lift the World Cup in Brazil, while shaking hands with Pele, Zico and anyone else who is so good at the game they only need one name.

OR

d)     Nah, its getting a bit silly now….

I’ll be blogging everyday – starting tomorrow. Life as a coach at West Ham United. Home of ‘The Academy of Soccer’ – pics, write-ups and video. Put the kettle on and make yourself comfortable – it’s going to be a cracker.

No comments:

Post a Comment