Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Oh, I've been so busy. No really, I mean super busy...

OK – so Happy New Year to all of you. Apologies of the ‘lapse’ in concentration and lack of blogging. Please allow me to explain – assuming you recall the last post was a rip-roaring tail of life as a young whipper-snapper in Essex. In chronologic order (as I present the evidence to the Judge)….

1)      Went back to England with ‘she who is to be obeyed’ aka Jilly. Highlights included:
a)      A mad / drunk Irish jockey on US Airways 322. He wanted to fight me with at (his) 5’ v my 6’ (and especially quick frame). I had $100 on me taking him in the first. He was arrested at Gatwick. Tip – never tell US Marshalls while 35K over the Atlantic they are BS.
b)       Tea with my mum. Beers with my Dad. Bourbon with just about everyone else. Roast dinners. Sausage rolls, Belgium buns and the BBC.
c)      Upton Park. West Ham v Everton – a draw but cold, lovely and lots of walking in unison with 30,000 Hammer fans. Singing.
d)     London. Mayfair and spitting distance from the Ritz. Croque Monsieur, Croissants, Harrods, Lizzy’s gaff etc
e)      Corrigan’s. Mayfair’s best restaurant. The barman made me an ‘Old fashioned’ because he is a student of cocktails. I drank it.
f)       New Year’s in London.

I spared Jilly a visit to Roots Hall, home of Southend Utd. Why? If the first Almond Croissant you ate was from Richoux on Piccadilly you’d avoid a toasted tea cake at the local ‘Wimpey’. Jill had been to Upton Park. Voila!

A trip to London doesn’t cut it, though. Next, follows a three week  slog to bring home the most exciting addition to the International School of Indiana’s development (excuse my bias). So, ISI is now in a partnership with West Ham United and their International Academy.

Let’s digress for a moment. A story may help paint the canvas for you all. Back in the winter of (around) 1996, my good friend and (now) Assistant Director of the Academy, Paul Heffer, brings a young West Ham youth team to our sports hall for a pre-Germany tour practice and a fun swim. Paul points out a young lad called, Glen Johnson. Paul says, “he’ll play for England’. Johnson did, does. Paul, in my book is a legend and how he coaches is special.

Through this friendship, an 8 hour drive to Atlanta and an $80 Hammers tattoo – I find myself at the brink of working with Mike Kelleher, manager of the US based International Academy, and my school joins the fun. Then, during Mike’s visit to Indy, we work on a plan that could put Indy on the international youth soccer map. Mike is a smart guy and knows the US field re soccer. Indy is a city willing and able to bring people in to start something special. Google the ‘Dallas Cup’ and you’ll have a picture of a glowing future.

May I, at this point, include a few statements about trivia:
1)      I do not know who the Kardashian’s are. I watch Star Trek so assume Kirk fought their green ‘leader’ for bragging rights.
2)      I know one nice Spurs fan. Richard Miles. My old friend, Keith posted (on FB tonight) ‘go Birmingham’. He may have well declared war on the entire planet. I retaliated on his post and in my anger misspelt ‘Spurs’ - Spus. Maybe the first ‘s’ should sit on the end of that word…
3)      I am not going to the Royal Wedding. It’s a cash bar.
4)      I called three kids at my school today ‘Muppets’ – they were being silly so I sat with them and explained if they are silly for the next two days I will force them to sing the theme tune to the Muppet Show on Monday to grade 4 & 5. I added an additional element (been watching ‘Law and Order’ so I am now savvy and legally streetwise). If they choose to be silly in some attempt to want to sing the theme tune to the Muppets, I will change the song. It will be either:
a.       The Greatest Love of All
b.      I will always love you.
(please make your choice via survey monkey…)
I personally prefer ‘Leaving on a Jet Plane’ but feel I may incur some financial burden for the potential therapy each of the boys will undoubtedly incur.

So, next blog? Fitz part two. I do have an original photo of Steve Hall – it’s a classic.

2 comments:

  1. To me, Specter's always been an attacking minded player, so maybe the move to midfield isn't too surprising. The change looks good so far. Is that + Robbie Keane enough to keep the Hammers up?

    Congrats on bringing the West Ham camp here. This city needs a lot more soccer happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - agreed re need for more soccer and Spector! We were hopeful when he came from Man Utd - it's taken a while for him to find his place. 2 goals to help dump Man Utd out of the cup have made him a local hero at Upton Park!

    ReplyDelete