Wednesday, October 20, 2010

You're good son, but not that good...

The question that rolls around my mind when I watch kids play a game is this: 'who's got it...?'

Now, what I mean is which of those 22 boys or girls is the 'one'. Quality always stands out yet sometimes it is hard to see with an untrained eye. You may see a kid beat three players and slip it past the keeper - looks good? Maybe not if he didn't have the vision to see the unmarked player across the box for a simple ball side-footed in the corner. Sometimes you'll see a tall kid sweeping past everyone - that happens a lot from 11 to 15 years old or so as kids rapidly grow. Looks good again, but if it's your physical advantage that makes the difference, one day all the nippers will catch up - and be quicker, smarter and better with the ball than you. Joe Cole (Liverpool and England) is only 5' 9". A product of the West Ham United Academy, an England International and a very creative player. See right, click and read the 'club career' spot. More about Joe another day.

Now, there was this kid called 'Mo' at the 2009 West Ham National Camp in Atlanta. He was red hot - fast, powerful and was skillful. He was about 17 and could stick the ball in the old onion bag every time. From the stands he looked like he was the full package. Then the coaches ran a drill: three layers,  firstly a throw to a player for a one-on-one with the keeper - he then turns and defends a player sprinting from the halfway on the way to goal - then the pair turn and defend another 2 players coming from the halfway again. Mo gets the first ball and slams it past the keeper - he's off waving and celebrating at exactly 'zero' people behind the goal (could have been 10,000 at the Nou Camp - but it's not you muppet, Mo). The next player scores when Mo should have turned to defend him. Coaches shout 'MO....!' - Mo replies....'arrrgghh, sorry coach.' Anyway, next time Mo's up he does exactly the same thing. His name gets crossed of the list even though he scores a great goal. Mo's just screwed up the chance of proving he is good enough to be invited to train for a week and one of England's premier youth academies. Mo wasn't mentally sharp enough, just looked good.

Young players should never underestimate the importance of mental abilities in the game. I once asked Tony Carr MBE (see right again), the Director of the Youth Academy at West Ham, what he is looking for in a player. He simply said - a player who is effective. Not a simple answer to quantify - but a priceless one. Knowing what you are going to do next before the opponent has any idea what you or even he is going to do next seems to be a nice way of putting it. Real talent sees everything and can react and adjust before most of us have any idea what is going on. Daniel Ringer, an academy player at Norwich F.C. and student at my old school, Sweyne Park, would beat two school opponents with his first touch. He was already moving the ball before opponents knew what hit them.

I'll add this - you know quality when you play against them because nothing you do works. I remember playing in a cup game as 13 year old somewhere in East London (and yes, I am sure David Beckham was on the next pitch (field)...). We lost and I spent a frustrating afternoon never getting past the left back, who was seemingly nothing special but simply effective. The gaffer (boss / coach) told me later the left back played for West Ham. Ahhhhh..... I thought. That explains my dour performance and I walked off happy. Only later on did it hit me that he played at West Ham and I did not. That was the real problem and it sucked to get it at around 13 when I thought I was on the way to glory.

But what do you need to do to be a great player? The fascinating thing is this - kids in Europe, England do not play the game everyday for three months in an over-coached frenzy. Kids play 2 or three times a week in a coaching scenario, and may kick it around on the playground in-between. A lot of the formative experience is actually 'pick up' style. We played games like 'willies' (headers and volleys) or 'wembley' (one kid in one goal and everyone for themselves). I used to help the postman at 4:00am during my school holidays for three reasons: 1) he gave us the elastic bands the letters were wrapped in - 2) he was a nice chap despite being a Manchester United Fan (they were Div 2 then) - 3) he would give us a ball if he found it on his 'round'. Your first touch gets good when you walk the half mile to school making wall passes off garden fences. Some local clubs in Indianapolis have included 'open, pick up style opportunities' Bravo. The less mini-van the better. Anyway, that's my opinion...

Why did I think I was destined for glory? Well, my Great Uncle George watched me play once and told Dad he was going to write to John Lyall, then manager of West Ham and ask for me to have a 'trial'. George played goalkeeper for the Army. That was the 'seal of approval' as far as I was concerned. Of course, when you play for Rayleigh Olympiads in Division Z of the 'not so good' Sunday League, scoring 12 goals in three games isn't worth much. I also failed to appreciate that Mr. Lyall received about 200 letters a day with the exact same request. It's hard to be good at football in a country that believes it invented, owns and therefore should be the best at the sport. Everyone is good. I was good, but not that good.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Matthew! I agree with you. Watching my kids play when there are no coaches or refs (or too many parents) present, I can see they also enjoy this environment the most. This is where kids can take chances and get creative in their play. Its the back yard and school recess where they try something new to see if it could possibly work. Now if I could only make them walk to school and kick a ball the whole way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago I was asked to scout the team of a friend of mine. None of the players or parents in the crowd knew who I was, but I sat there making notes. There was one kid on that field that stood out to me...for all the wrong reasons.

    I later got some background on this particular player. Some coaches identified him as being a top talent. I cannot speak to it because all I saw was a player that jogged up and down one side of the field, never at a sprint, and when his team didn't have the ball, he didn't pay attention to the game. The note I wrote down asked a question: why is this player getting time?

    The coach relayed my question later. For a time he worked a bit harder, but not much. He had grown up to that point with everyone telling how good he was. He finally hit a level where there were others as good or better. He never had to work for it before and decided he didn't want to then. The kid left that school because he wasn't playing. He didn't play at his next school either.

    You can't blame the kid too much, as good as he was, there was never anyone to tell him he could be better until it was too late. Talent/being good is one thing, but players must also have desire: desire to win, desire to improve.

    ReplyDelete